I recently tried playing a DVD on my somewhat new laptop to no avail. Was the first time since I got this laptop that I even tried. Hell, the shitdows8 install that was on here when I bought the laptop was never even booted into. I had installed Arch on it as soon as I took it out of the box. So, I actually didn't even know if it worked at all, maybe I got a bad one and never realized it.
I double checked that the libdvdcss, libdvdread, libdvdnav stuff was installed, tried the -git versions of each out of the AUR. Noting was working for me. VLC complained that it couldn't break the encryption, mplayer would only play the FBI warning at the beginning of any disk that I tried. I scoured the Arch wiki and forums.
Eventually, I came across this mplayer page that held the key for my issue. So, off to the AUR I went to build the articles suggested regionset tool to hopefully fix my issue. Seems that there wasn't a region code set at all on the drive. After setting the region code to 1 (for North America), VLC, mplayer, handbrake, ... all now play DVDs as they should.
Also, it seems that I overlooked the section in the Arch wiki suggesting the same fix.
Fucking DRM making things difficult as usual. :/