whird.jpope.org cover image

Firefox buttons

This is a test of something that seems a little screwed up. On both of my work machines, I mostly use Chrome (w/ the IE tab extension) for work related stuff. And I have Firefox on my work laptop setup to go through a SSH tunnel to home for not-so-work related stuff. Also, I have recently added 'Download Firefox' buttons on my site via Firefox Affiliates. I could have just as easily created the buttons myself but I didn't. Anyway, after I placed the buttons on my Drupal sites and StatusNet site, I checked things out via the different browsers on my work machines. I noticed right away that they didn't show at all in Chrome. Worked fine in Firefox and IE just not Chrome, even after I cleared the cache (browser level and at the site level) they still didn't show. What the fuck? The button code is basic html, an anchor and an image, no javascript, css, or anything else. In the end, I used wget to grab the button image and pointed things to use the image sitting on my server. Hey, now it actually shows. Again, WTF…

Firefox Sync on Arch

As part of my desire to reduce my usage of third parties concerning my online data, I've always wanted to get my own sync server going for Firefox. I had tried this a few different times and had been unsuccessful each time until today. I've mostly been wanting to have one going to further reduce my dependence of third parties in regards to my online data. Of course, this has been mostly been directed at Google but I have extended it to Dropbox and now Mozilla. I don't really have any reasons to dis-trust Mozilla but, the Degooglify attitude shouldn't stop with just Google. If you have the option of fully taking control of your data, I feel that you should. ;) So, looking at starting a FF Sync Server leads to this documentation that Mozilla has. After reading over it again, I realized that the dev setup is very similar to the basic setup of MediaGoblin that I currently have running here. My MediaGoblin setup is using a python server, running on a port which is then redirected to the sub-domain in the Apache…