whird.jpope.org cover image

StatusNet Nginx conf

I've always meant to post my nginx conf that I use for StatusNet. Up until now, I failed doing so... Due to a convo in #statusnet IRC, I remembered that I still needed to post it here. ;) My conf for StatusNet is based on @joar's post here and I really haven't changed much. The conf can be seen on my pastebin.…

Pump

Seeing that I've had a whole string of StatusNet posts, I figure that it's time to start some pump.io posts. I've had a pump running since mid January and it's been much fun watching the early development happen. As of this writing, the current stable version (which Evan has his various pumps running) is v0.2.1. My pump is running git master because I like to live on the edge. Although, for the most part, it has been mostly painless. I have tried my damnedest to put any issues that I come across on the issue list. With this post, I will be going through my setup. I should note that my setup may not work for everyone, YMMV. I am running my pump on my mostly recently unused EeePC 1000HE w/2GB RAM which is running good ol' ArchLinux. Seeing that my tablet has become my goto mobile device (and even got a keyboard dock for it as well), my netbook just seems bulky and underpowered anymore. (bulky? what?) It was time to find something else for it to do. Enter the pump. Before starting the rest, here are the versions…

Nginx Migration Mostly Complete

As I stated in my last post, I was to be moving my webserver to Nginx and have now mostly finished the migration. The "mostly" is due to things still needing tweaked and config files need cleaned up. Aside from deciding to go ahead and move my Gallery3 install to Piwigo and taking my radar archive offline, I have everything listed on my 'About' page working again. A few things (SemanticScuttle and SimpleID) don't currently have the clean URLs that I did have so, I'll be working on those things yet. Also, my decision to take the radar archive offline is mostly due to how large the archive has gotten. But anyway, I digress... Moving to Nginx has been mostly painless and I had most everything back online the same night I started. And looking at my Munin stats, I see lower load average, system CPU usage, network traffic and disk IO. However, since I don't have many things that are static files, most everything is running through php-fpm. For the most part, the links listed here were a great help in the migration.…

The Next Migration for jpope dot org

Something that I have been planning for a bit for my webserver has been to migrate from Apache to Nginx. That time has come. On with the breakage... I've been playing with Nginx off and on for a little bit and I'm really digging it. I hope that this transition goes somewhat smoothly so that I can document it a little bit. I have a feeling that it's going to be a pain in the ass with all that I have going on this server. May as well get started before I add more stuff and my about page gets longer. But anyway, I plan on getting my StausNet instance up and running first, then the blog here and then on down the list. At least with SN being up first, I can give a yell out to someone else in case of fire (or configuration issues, whichever comes first). So, at some point this evening, after this post goes out, I will be tearing it all down. Hopefully on the building back up side, I won't have resorted to going back to Apache. Cheers!…